How long do I have to keep an evicted tenants belongings when infested with roaches? What am I legally allowed to throw away?

Albany, NY |

Tenant moved in, brought roaches, never paid rent. Harassed neighbors until my other tenants moved out of the building. The sherrif came and evicted, but tenant left EVERYTHING.( Tenant was also a filthy hoarder. left things everywhere, mostly on the floor - used pots and dishes, dirty clothes, empty cans, you name it) and all the stuff is infested with roaches. Do I have to store this? even the electronics where they hide in? What are my legal obligations? Please Help!

1. The court judgment that ordered the eviction should have been specific as to what your responsibility is for the personal property. Re-read it. There is no bright line rule about how long you have to store belongings. The standard is "a reasonable period of time" (usually 30 days).

This is not intended as legal advice nor to create a lawyer-client relationship. It is provided for informational purposes only and not guaranteed accurate.