How long do i have to file sexual harassment and complaints on my previous job.?

Asked 3 months ago - Jensen Beach, FL

im not sure if its sexual harassment or sexual assault. i went into work to pick up my paycheck on December 31, 2013. The owner handed it to me in his office and then pulled down my top.i have several text from him about the incident . i also have text from before that of inappropriate pictures he sent. I have a witness of other pictures he sent that i deleted. i couldnt do anything while i was working there because im a single mom. and was scared to lose my job. and now the reference they are giving on me is that i dressed inappropriate for work in short shorts and they're not that kind of establishment . and that i should get a job at hooters. i wore tan capris and pants to work with a black crew or v- neck. with a muscle shirt under all my shirts.

Pro

2

Answered . That would be an assault, and you should report it to the police as well as schedule a sit-down with an employment lawyer. You should find out if others were assaulted as well.

2. James Edwin Jackson

Pro

1

Answered . If he put his hands on you, this may be assault. Immediately go to the EEOC and tell them your story. I would also suggest you talk to an attorney. The idea that "you had it coming" is thankfully dying a slow death in today's world. No body deserves to be mistreated simply for trying to work. If you outfits were inappropriate, the company should have dealt with it. You have roughly one year to file (180 days plus depending on who you are filing with) so don't wait.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

Answered . I concur that his actions constitute a physical assault or battery and you shou8ld consider filing criminal charges and at the very least report to the police. Additionally, I would to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. In contingency fee arrangements, there are no hourly fees. In some states attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case but in others there is a reasonable fee charged to compensate the attorney for their time and advice. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. There is a tab "Find A Lawyer" on the home page of Avvo at www.avvo.com that will help you find a lawyer in this practice area in your locale. Good luck!