Skip to main content

How long do i have to file for custody in another state?

Dallas, TX |

I want to file for custody In the state of Texas. I would like to know how long I would have to live there to file? The father dose not have any legal custody! I just need to leave the state of CA, for the safey of me and my one year old!

Attorney Answers 2


Assuming that Texas has adopted the provisions of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA),
six months is the likely answer.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful


You need to live in Texas for 6 months, and you must be a resident of the county you wish to file in for 90 days prior. Hope that helps!

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics