How long do I have to file for a personal injury claim in Ny ? And do I have a Claim against my Landlord ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ithaca, NY

I slipped on Ice in the Drive way walking from the mail boxes they do not keep the drive way clear of this and was notified many times by other tenates of this problem .

1. Michael Paul Lagnado

9

Best Answer

Answered . You may make a personal injury claim by suing your landlord for damages arising from the landlord's negligence in failing to keep the driveway clear of ice. I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney, such as myself, to discuss the particulars of your case.

2. Craig A. Post

11

Answered . Generally speaking, the statute of limitations for such a claim would be 3 years. This would change depending on whether we are talking about a private or municipal landlord. If the latter, the statute is much shorter. There are other factors to consider then just time however. Was the landlord given a reasonable opportunity to correct this particular icing condition? Do your injuries warrant going forward with a claim? Your best bet would be to consult with a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible.

3. Yefim Rubinov

10

1

Answered . you have three years from the date of the accident to file suit against the landlord. Also, I suggest that you consult a personal injury lawyer to discuss you case at length...

4. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

10

Answered . 3 years

5. James D. Kiley

10

Answered . If the landlord is a private individual or entity and not a municpal entity, then you have a three ( 3) year statute of limitations. Keep in mind, howeever, that evidence gets stale, memories fade, etc. etc. No reasons to wait that long if you are interested in pursuing litigation. Snow and ice cases can be tough. You need to obtain the weather date to establish that the landlord had enough time to remedy the icy condition. If it was snowing just before or during the incident, you may have a tough time proving liability under a storm in progress defense. Consult with a reputable PI attorney.

6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

9

Answered . Private landowner = 3 years.
    Maybe

7. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

3

Answered . You must file the action within 3 years of the accident. The action is against the landlord if they were negligent.