How long do I have to file charges of assault on someone?

Downers Grove, IL |

I was pushed by my boss at work and I called the police. I said I didn't want him to be arrested because he was intoxicated... After thinking this over for a few days, I am still very upset and want something done about it.

Only the State's Attorney can file a criminal charge against anyone. If you were injured, you can sue him for your injury up to 2 years after the event that caused your injury.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

Seeing as how I said in the complaint I didn't want anything done that night, can I change my mind and have something done?

Scott Andrew Wineberg

Scott Andrew Wineberg

You can change your mind about pursuing criminal charges by communicating this to the police. The statute of limitations for him to be charged with a misdemeanor such as you describe is 18 months from the date it occurred. It could theoretically, though unlikely, be a felony against him in which case the statute of limitations would be 3 years. But you cannot file the charge yourself. The police may elect to charge your boss under a local/municipal ordinance or perhaps under state law.

You should go to the police station today and tell them you want to report a crime.

http://defendme.net | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Joshua Sachs

Joshua Sachs

Keep in mind, however, that once you do that there will be no more changes of mind. The matter will be out of your hands and the police and the prosecutor will handle it as they think appropriate. They may or may not pay attention to what you want done. They don't have to.

James Regan

James Regan

Thank you, Mr. Sachs, I concur.

You should plan on finding a new job ASAP. See if you can get police reports from when they came in case you have to file for unemployment.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. This answer is not legal advice, which requires a personal connection and far more facts. This attorney does not give legal advice over the Internet. This is a general statement about law, not advice.