How long do I have to file an Answer Brief to an appeal? Where do I find help if I'm 61, indigent, and on food stamps?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lake Worth, FL

I need help to file an Answer Brief to my former husbands appeal. Notice filed September 26th. From the District Court of Appeals came Acknowledgement of New Case on October 4th 2013.
How long do I have to file an answer? Where do I start to find help for this process?

1. Diane Gwyneth Cassaro

2

Answered . Your Answer Brief will be due within 20 days of the filing of the Initial Brief. And the Initial Brief is due within 70 days of the Notice. Your local legal aid office may be able to help you, but if you'd like to get an overview of the process, the Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure are available online. Good luck.

2. Justin Gary Hausler

2

Answered . You can try legal aid in your county. Also the DCA websites are often helpful along with the Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure. Appeals are a lot of work and you're probably not going to find an attorney to handle one pro bono.

3. Michael Paul Sullivan

Answered . Contacting your local legal aid in your county would be your best bet. They can determine whether or not you are financially qualified for them to handle your case for free. You could also contact any Social Security Lawyer on this site under the contact an attorney section and inquire about whether they want to handle the claim. Good luck.

4. Thomas Andrew Player

Answered . You have twenty days from the date the initial brief is served to serve your answer brief. However, the courts liberally grant extensions of time upon a proper motion requesting same. I strongly suggest contacting your county bar association or local legal aid society to seek pro bono (free) legal help. Appeals are very procedure-driven and have a lot of deadlines and technical requirements. A good command of the rules of appellate procedure is also important. having the assistance of an appellate attorney is very important.

5. D K Kevin Dugan

Answered . Use the Find a lawyer section on this website and talk to attorneys to find one to take the case.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.