How long do I have to file a sexual harassment claim with the EEOC in Texas? Can I sue my employer instead?

Dallas, TX |

How long do I have to file a sexual harassment claim with the EEOC in Texas? Can I sue my employer instead of going through the EEOC?

1. Are you working for a private employer or with the state or federal government?

2. An individual has 300 days from the date of alleged harm to file a charge with the EEOC against an employer with 15 or more employees for discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, and/or disability in the States of New Mexico and Texas and City of Fort Worth, Texas. An individual has 300 days from the date of alleged harm to file a charge with this office against an employer with 20 or more employees for discrimination based on age in the States of New Mexico and Texas and City of Fort Worth, Texas.
    To protect your legal rights, it is always best to contact EEOC promptly when discrimination is suspected.

If you are a federal employee, you have 45 days within which to contact the agency EEO counselor to initiate an informa charge of discrimination.