How long do I have to file a labor board complaint because of previous employer Denying my owed wages.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Leandro, CA

I was let go in mid Feb. They gave me the runaround. Promised I would be compensated. Then lied and hoped I went away. I am at the point of wanted to take legal action due to the stress and damages they cased my family because we needed the money.

Additional information

They also sent my final direct deposit the night before I was actually laid off. Not including my miles. I feel I have a strong case because the obviously broke 1 -2 laws.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kristine S Karila

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When a CA employee is laid off or fired, they must receive their final wages immediately. If you were paid the night before, I don't know what else is owed from your question. If you submitted an expense report with mileage owed, they owe you that. If you are owed wages, call an employment law attorney to help you. An attorney can write a demand letter and get you wages owed, if any, plus one day's pay for each day you had to wait to get paid - up to 30 days PLUS pay your attorney. Filing a claim with the Labor Commissioner is an option, but one I don't recommend if you are owed wages and your former employer has money to pay you.

  2. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have three years from the date each payment should have been made to file your claim with the DLSE.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,108 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,108 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering