How long do I have to file a cross complaint in a civil unlimited case?

Westminster, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I've just filed the answer...

If the cross-complaint was against the plaintiff, it should have been filed with your answer. You will now need to seek leave of court to file that type of cross-complaint. See CCP 428.50.

Best of luck to you.

2. You were supposed to have filed it at the same time as your answer.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. I agree. Typically the Cross-Complaint is filed by the defendant when the Answer is filed.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.