Skip to main content

How long do i have to file a claim for injuries from a car accident

Rochester, NY |

I was driving straight, and a car from the opposite direction made a left turn and tried to cut across traffic..this occured on 9-08-13. Is it too late to file a claim?

Attorney Answers 9

  1. NO. Consult with a local personal injury attorney ASAP

  2. To view this email as a web page, go here.

    No, you have plenty of time. The only major time issue you have right now is that you have to get a No-Fault application in (with your insurance carrier) within 30 days of the accident. You have 3 years in order to commence a lawsuit for personal injuries arising out of a lawsuit. But keep in mind that, if you are suffering from injuries, you should be seeking medical attention and fully explain to the provider(s) all of the symptoms that you have. You will ultimately need to demonstrate that you sustained a serious injury (as defined by the NYS Insurance Law) in order to be successful with your claim/lawsuit.

    This message originates from the law firm of Harris, Conway & Donovan, PLLC.. The information contained in this email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential attorney-client communication or may otherwise be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message, regardless of the address or routing, is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this transmittal in error and any review, use, distribution, dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete this e-mail and all files transmitted with it from your system and immediately notify Harris, Conway & Donovan, PLLC by sending a reply e-mail to the sender of this message. Thank you.

  3. Assuming a municipal entity is NOT involved, the statute of limitations for filing a complaint against the responsible person or entity is 3 years from the date of the collision. If a municipality is involved, the statute is significantly shorter.

    Please understand that while anyone can file a claim, the elements of an auto claim are somewhat different than other claims, since auto claims are governed by the NYS Insurance law. As such, there is a requirement that the person bring a claim must have suffered a "serious injury". If that was not the case, the claim will most likely be dismissed.

    Under the circumstances, you should obtain the necessary medical treatment and also consult with a lawyer to get a more detailed understanding of the requirements of the state insurance law. If you have not done so, it will be necessary for you to file a No Fault application with your own insurance company. Be careful about the statements you make in the application, as it could have an impact on your claim against the responsible defendant(s).

    Alfred Laub

    The underlying facts for each situation are unique. Any responses given are for informational purposes only and are not designed or intended as professional legal advice, since any suggestions may not apply to your specific circumstance. This information exchange does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind. Should you determine that you need immediate legal assistance or action , you should contact your local Bar Association for a referral to an attorney in your area.

  4. You have time, but do it today

  5. You have plenty of time.

    Any accident and legal information provided by Davis Law Group to non-clients is for general information purposes only. It is not a substitute for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created or maintained without a signed written agreement between the client and the law firm.

  6. The question seems relatively simple but is complicated by the missing details. First, the statute of limitations to bring a claim for this accident will depend on who the other driver was that hit you. If it was a vehicle owned by a governmental agency, either local, state or federal then the applicable time frame will vary. If it was just another person, then it will be three years from the date of the accident. Where the accident happened will also effect the applicable time frame. There are other matters which you will also need to take into consideration. You should have notified your own insurance company already, and if not, then you should immediately. Also, if you sustained injuries in the accident there are applicable time periods for providing No-Fault insurance with notice and submitting an application to get your No-Fault benefits. However those benefits are assumed if your accident happened here in NY and your vehicle was registered and insured in NY. As you can see there are many things to evaluate and if this is something you want to pursue then I recommend you consult with an attorney. Our office provides free consultations for all NY based personal injury cases and can help you get the advice you are looking for about this accident. Good luck.

  7. You have 3 years from the date of the accident to file your suit.
    But you must file your No Fault application claim within 30 days of the accident.
    It is a good idea to speak to an attorney sooner rather than later so your are guided properly.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

  8. You have three years from the date of the accident unless the other vehicle was a government vehicle, in which case you need to serve a notice of intent within 90 days. Assuming your injuries satisfy the legal requirements of NY's no fault criteria, time is on your side. Consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to assess your claim.

  9. You need to file a claim for no-fault benefits with YOUR insurance company within thirty days from the date of the accident. The form is available online and it should have been sent to you by your insurance company. Don't wait, do it now and keep a copy for your records.

    You have three years to sue the other driver and/or the owner of the vehicle, unless a governmental agency or employee is involved and at fault. If a governmental agency or employee is involved you have to file your claim in a much shorter time period, so consult an attorney right away.

    You should request a copy of the police report to see who the driver was and the name of the owner of the vehicle. The police report will also include an insurance code that will allow you to determine the insurance carrier for the other driver.

    An experienced attorney will help you to determine if you meet the serious injury threshold, which is a prerequisite to a lawsuit in NY.

    Dan Bronk's response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice. The response is Dan Bronk's answer to a hypothetical question and without any knowledge of the specific facts or legal issues involved in your case. Do not take any legal action without consulting Dan or another experienced workers' compensation attorney for proper legal advice that can only be provided after a careful and thorough review of your case.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics