How long do I have to collect child support after the child is of age?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Tonto Basin, AZ

My son is grown and his father was ordered by the court to pay child support. He has paid only a couple of checks that bounced. My son is now grown and I still haven't gotten the child support ordered by the court. I need to know if I can still get the back support.

1. Monica H Donaldson Stewart

Pro

Answered . If a child support order was already entered, you are entitled to collect that support even after your child has turned 18/graduated from high school; however, if more than 10 years has passed since he reached 18/graduated, then you will have to have a very good reason for waiting so long to collect. I suggest you speak with an attorney in the jurisdiction where the orders were entered to discuss your options.

** This response is provided as general information only and does not constitute legal advice or otherwise establish an attorney client relationship. **

2. Monica H Donaldson Stewart

Pro