How long do I have to cancel a lease and get my money back

Asked about 1 year ago - Riverview, FL

Can I get my money back if for good reason I will not be able to pay rent on time
I put a deposit down friday on a house I need o back out

1. Edward J. Fucillo

3

Answered . If you have already signed the lease agreement, there is no statutory time period for you to rescind the contract. I suggest you speak to the landlord and politely explain your situation and why you can no longer afford to lease the property. Depending on the terms of your lease, the deposit may or may not be refundable and the landlord may seek to hold you to the terms of the lease. If so, I recommend that you consult with a local attorney to review the lease. At the very least, your landlord has a duty to mitigate his or her damages by trying to re-rent the property.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now