How long do I have or how can I collect my personal belongings AFTER our divorce?

I left everything and was not awarded any property in the decree. I was Pro Se and she had a lawyer. I would like my personal items. I have asked her for these things and it is a game to her. I have several texts from her stating that "it's all hers now". What are my options? Thank you.

Portland, OR -

Attorney Answers (2)

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Milwaukie, OR

It really depends on what your divorce decree says. If no mention is made of who has ownership of these items, then in practice, whoever currently has possession of them will keep them. Note also that Oregon law specifically prohibits modification of the property division terms of a divorce judgment. This is why we discourage people from representing themselves - it has to be done right the first time.

Please read the following notice:

Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
Matthew Thomas Majeski

Matthew Thomas Majeski

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Woodbury, MN

I agree with counsel on all counts. Check the divorce decree. Many contain a provision that will say something like, "the personal property has been divided to the parties' satisfaction". If yours says anything like this or is otherwise silent on the issue, you're likely out of luck.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Featured Legal Guides

Do it yourself divorce

“Pro se” means to act as one’s own lawyer. While there are rare cases where it may be cheaper, a pro se divorce is usually not recommended.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.