How long do attorneys are required keep records in probate?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Gainesville, FL

I had one attorney for a probate matter but he was released because couldn't finish so I got a second attorney in a different firm. How long does the first attorney have to keep his records, the case is still open?

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . First-please consult the second attorney for his/her opinion on the matter.
    As a probate attorney-I always keep my work product electronically scanned and as first attorney(or firm) be happy to send copies of complete file to second attorney.

2. Steven W. Ledbetter

Pro

2

Answered . The FL bar suggests keeping files for at least 6 years. Many attorneys keep files digitally (paperless), which would mean they keep them forever.

3. Mark Russell Lewis

Pro

2

Answered . While the Florida bar says keep for 6 years I have mine for the last 20 years or more

4. Steven J. Fromm

1

Answered . I have never destroyed probate files. It sound practice to keep them indefinitely. Second, if the matter is turned over to a second attorney, the entire file is in most cases given and letter is sent saying these are the originals or copies depending on the situation.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is