How long can this drag on?

Asked over 1 year ago - Taylorville, IL

Wife filed for divorce, I filed, she stopped pursuing it, her lawyer dropped her due to no response,etc. My lawyer and I been 3 times for divorce, they keep putting it off to give her time to respond/obtain counsel. My lawyer asked for divorce by absentia, judge said no, put it off til 7/5. I want custody resolved and a divorce. Each time we go I miss work and it is costing me money. How long can this go on? She started the proceedings and then stopped. She has a man living with her, I just want the custody and divorce over with. How long can this go on? Do I have any rights her? Can she drag this out for years? Just because she does not seem to care, I do? What can be done to speed this up?

I received a good answer, no need for any other replies. Thank you

1. Barry Cahn Boykin

5

Best Answer

Answered . Every case has stages in the proceeding, and the judge is bound to comply with all the rules and procedures. If custody is at issue, such cases may often take a full 18 months to resolve. If a marital settlement agreement is presented that both parties agre is fair then the case will be quickly completed. Otherwise it depends in the stage of the proceedings and what your wife does next.

2. David Matthew Gotzh

Pro

5

Answered . First, you have an attorney, so we can't second guess what's going on. Second, even if you didn't, we'd need an hour or two to know, procedurally/substantively what's going on, before being any to advise you. Family law is complex, and in addition to statutory and caselaw requirements, your county also has specific customs regarding how it adjudicates divorce actions.

In short: Avvo is designed to point you in a general direction, but we're not mapquest - if that makes any sense. So if you're not happy with lawyer #1, then it may be time to look for lawyer #2.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . Your lawyer can adivise you about what steps to take

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . Honestly why would you post on here when you have a lawyer? We volunteer our time to help those in need . Go talk to the person you are paying AND who actually knows your case and all the facts involved.