How long can they make you stay in jail for a child support violation?

Asked about 3 years ago - Vidalia, GA

he thought that his ex dropped the child support recovery but she lied and now has him in jail for a year and half worth of back owed child suport because he was paying in cash and didnt save all receipts how long can they keep him in jail?

1. Jordan Jacob Hendrick

Answered . This can be difficult and I have represented a few clients in his situation. Generally, how long a person found to be contempt stays in jail is up to the discretion of the judge. Unfortunately, often times these matters fly under the court's radar. In other words, if you don't ask for a court date the court may not review the case for some time. In the past I have filed a Motion for Release and at the court date if you show the judge that the contempt party has no assets and is not willfully failing to pay then by law the court has to let him out. Hope this helps and good luck.