How long can someone go to jail for a probation violation from 2 years ago? this is in the state of pennsylvania

Asked about 2 years ago - West Grove, PA

he is currently in montgomery county correctional facility

1. Brendan Michael Campbell

2

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with Mr. Zucker's assessment. There are a lot of factors that go into determining "how long someone can go to jail for a probation violation". The most important factor is how did the person violate. Was it a technical violation in that the person failed a urine test or absconded from supervision? Or was it a direct violation in that the person was convicted for a new crime while on probation? Another important consideration is how many prior violations of probation the person had. Regardless of these factors, a Judge can resentence the offender to the balance of his exposure on the original charge.

2. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

3

Answered . Techincally they could be sentenced to all of their back time with no credit for the time they spent on probation while not incarcerated. So for example if the person was given one year probation for a Misdemeanor 3 crime they could do the entire year. There are however a lot of factors to be considered at a probation violation hearing including the standard sentence for the crime at the time of conviction, the type of violation etc. The best bet is to retain experienced criminal defense counsel to assist the person and hopefully light a fire under the PO to get the hearing scheduled so the person does not have to spend anymore time in prison than necessary.

Adam D. Zucker, Esquire
    Mudrick & Zucker, P.C.
    Conshohocken & Lansdale, PA
    (610) 832-0100
    www.mudrickzucker.com

3. Charles Anthony Rick

Answered . I also agree with Attorney Zucker's assessment. It is really hard to say how long he could get with the very limited information provided. I do not reccomend providing more information about it on this site. I reccomend contacting a local criminal attorney to assist you in this matter.