How long can someone be held waiting extradition from one county to another? (same state)

Lakeland, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

She is in the same county jail after getting time served for resisting w/o violence. She has been there 28 days total this county didn't notify the others I had 2. It's been 14 days since she got time served on their charge & has been waiting on extradition.

Generally, when a prisoner is being transported between counties, the receiving county has up to 30 days to obtain the prisoner from the holding county. The clock doesn't start until the case/sentence from the holding county expires. Thus, the 30 days didn't start until after the time served plea.

If it is within the same state it is not extradition. There is not likely a time requirement, but she should have her lawyer inform the court of the situation and, if nothing else, be sure she gets credit for any time served.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

Extradition is between different STATES and different COUNTRIES. Not counties.

Concur with Attorney Fossum.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.