Skip to main content

How long can someone be held in jail for being fasley accused of molestion?

Anaheim, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My husband was picked up for a out of city felony warrant (pc 288).How long can he sit in county jail before being charged? Does a warrant mean that he was charged with the crime?

Attorney Answers 4


After 72 hours, he needs to be charged or released.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


A 288 is a very serious crime and requires the services of an attorney experienced in "sex crimes" defense. And even before they choose whether to formally charge your husband, you need to obtain qualified counsel ASAP! The truth is that if your husband was already arrested, then "probable cause" for the arrest must have come from somewhere! So, you need to take steps to try to protect your husband from making any statements while in custody, which only a lawyer can do once retained!

I would also be more than happy to consult with you on this matter as well. Simply follow the links to by website for my full contact information! And if retained, I would immediately contact the police to determine what is specifically happening here and advise the police NOT to speak to him without an attorney being present!

Either way, time IS truly of the essence here. As an aside, if you found my direction helpful, and if you feel appropriate; could you be so kind as to designate my answer as the “best” answer to your question? I truly wish you the best of luck in this matter and please feel free to call me toll free at (800) 200-4384 if you wish to discuss this further!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


3 days (72 hours).

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


A warrant for his arrest means that there was sufficient evidence to arrest him. This usually means that there will also be sufficient evidence to bring charges.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics