How long can one CA county hold you on an out of county warrant for another CA county?

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

A routine traffic stop, a friend was arrested and put in San Diego central jail on Monday for a warrant in Los Angeles. he was not aware of an outstanding warrant, but they told him it was off of a previous case that he had already served time for (larceny),he was released on house arrest and I am assuming he had to report to a probation office after that , but I don't recall he did, is this why he has a warrant? bail amount is $100,000.. they said it would take la county 5 days to pick him up, he hasn't seen a judge yet, and tomorrow will be the fifth day? I need help? answers on what may happen? thanks

1. Oscar Ernesto Toscano

3

1

Answered . Your friend should hire a lawyer in Los Angeles to go to court with the judge that issued the warrant and request the warrant to be recalled, a new date set for your friend to appear in court and/or violation of probation. $100,000 warrant is not for violation of probation or parole as those usually do not have a bail amount but they have a hold. Once the warrant is recalled, your friend will be released and the case can be handled in Los Angeles. Attorneys cannot appear in felony cases without the clients.
    OSCAR E. TOSCANO
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer

2. Greg Thomas Hill

3

1

Answered . There is more to this story than perhaps your friend is telling you. The right to be arraigned within 48 hours does not apply on a probation violation, as there is no arraignment. Let LA County pick him up tomorrow and he can then see the judge who placed him on probation in LA. There is more to this story if bail is $100,000.

3. Dan Eugene Chambers

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hill. There is something else going on. Your friend needs to contact counsel. Many attorneys here on Avvo provide a free consultation.