Skip to main content

How long can I stay outside the country if I have a 10 years green card?Can be 10 months?Thanks.

Santa Clara, CA |

I would like to stay away for 10 or 12 months.Is that possible?How?Do I have to inform someone?Thanks

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Hello:

    You cannot reenter on the Green Card if you have been gone more than 1 year (unless you have a Reentry Permit.) If you are considering applying for citizenship, you should not be gone more than 6 months.


    Brian D. Lerner
    Attorney at Law

  2. Apply for naturalization if you are eligible.

    You may also apply for reentry permit which is valid for 2 years.


Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics