How long can I or should I stay in the US before applying the course and change status from B1/B2 to F1 while in the US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellflower, CA

Right now I'm in foreign country and have B1/B2 visa, I'm thinking of studying in the US but the course will start in the next 6 months, I want to go to the US right now and stay there until the course starts, then change my visa status to F1 later overthere.

1. Gen Kimura

1

Answered . You have to get an I-20 from the school first.

2. Irene Vaisman

1

Answered . I would speak to an attorney first. I foresee some intent issues. And my colleague is correct that before obtaining a student visa, you have to be accepted into the school and have Form I-120.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . DON'T DO IT.

Your plan is full of potential heartaches.

1. The process of COS from B to F takes 4-6, or more, months.
    2. If you file for F w/in 90 days of arriving ... immigration can accuse you of having 'deceived' the border guard when you came in and declared yourself to be a tourist.

Get an I-20 and go to the US Consul to get the proper F visa.