How long can I or should I stay in the US before applying the course and change status from B1/B2 to F1 while in the US?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bellflower, CA

Right now I'm in foreign country and have B1/B2 visa, I'm thinking of studying in the US but the course will start in the next 6 months, I want to go to the US right now and stay there until the course starts, then change my visa status to F1 later overthere.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have to get an I-20 from the school first.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  2. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would speak to an attorney first. I foresee some intent issues. And my colleague is correct that before obtaining a student visa, you have to be accepted into the school and have Form I-120.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . DON'T DO IT.

    Your plan is full of potential heartaches.

    1. The process of COS from B to F takes 4-6, or more, months.
    2. If you file for F w/in 90 days of arriving ... immigration can accuse you of having 'deceived' the border guard when you came in and declared yourself to be a tourist.

    Get an I-20 and go to the US Consul to get the proper F visa.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering