Skip to main content

How long can DSS Fraud investigations investigate me???

12461 |

Hi all. I'm receiving Food Stamp and medical benefits. I'm 99% sure I was reported by someone who dislikes me for fraud. Back in November, I received a call from investigations. I have complied, answered all questions, offered up a tour of my residence anytime (They are looking into my household composition, saying my childrens father does live with me, he does NOT) Now a letter has been sent to my landlord. At what point will this end? It looks very bad for me having all sorts of things sent to people from a fraud investigations unit. How can I put an end to this??

Would like to add, I don't receive cash assistance. It's hard asking for any help. I understand some questions. But at what point is this enough?

Attorney Answers 2


Speak with a criminal defense lawyer immediately in your area.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees




I don't mean to sound dumb, but I haven't done anything wrong - do I really need an attorney? He resides with his mother. My landlord has verified, I did the interview back in November. Or are they just going to continue to try and come after me?

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky


when you mention the word fraud, then criminal liability is a possibility.


I agree. Talk to a criminal sdefense lawyer, or contact your local legal aid office for assistance.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics