How long can dispersal of a will be delayed due to stock market related insufficient funds in an estate?

Asked over 4 years ago - Binghamton, NY

My dad passed away in Feb of '09. As stated at the top of the will, it is a simple and straightforward will i.e. some Roth accts and some stock for me and my two sisters and 10,000.00 specified for each grandchild in the form of CDs. Apparently, the CD values have now decreased so the will is not being dispersed. But what if they never recover their 10,000.00 value? Surely the will must be dispersed at some point. The atty's office has never been cooperative but rather evasive, rude and inconsistent in their replies.
We finally had to determine merely the status of the will a couple of months ago by calling the Surrogate court ourselves several times and the executrix (my older sister) had to file some docs herself. The will has finally gone through probate.
Thanks

1. John J. Sullivan

Answered . Maybe I misunderstood your question. If it's the stock that experienced market loss, it makes sense, especially if the loss means the estate is insolvent (unable to pay the creditors full dollar) or it means there is no residue and the specific bequests (the $10K to each grandchild have to be crammed down.

I have a couple of probates like this involving real estate. Of course, no one can accurately time the market. At some point it will make sense to simply liquidate the estate and pay whatever can be paid. You need an attorney to look at the overall picture (get it from the estate attorney) and advise you. This is a judgment call. If you would get nothing today upon liquidation, why not wait and see if the market comes back?

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I think you may be getting incorrect information and the run around. The prior attorney's comment are right on point as to the Roth and CDs. You need to immediately retain experienced probate counsel to get to the bottom of this because quite frankly your presentation of the facts do not make sense and you need someone to help you.

This is especially the case if the attorney is rude and uncooperative as this is inexcusable behavior that should not be tolerated for one minute. You have rights and you need to muscle up and get an attorney to assert your rights. This is especially the case since it has now been over a year and you have no satisfactory understanding of what is going on with this estate. This is just deplorable conduct by the attorney for the estate.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.