Skip to main content

How long can an uncooperative spouse prolong a divorce from going through in California?

Colton, CA |
Filed under: Divorce

I filed for divorce over a year ago and recently filed for a bifurcation of status. My spouse does not want to divorce and thus objected so the judge did not grant the bifurcation. My ex has taken every step possible to delay the inevitable divorce. We have been assigned a trial date regarding the dissolution of our marriage with a proposed settlement to be filed. I am not filing for spousal support or fighting over petty assets. If he doesn't show can to the trial, will the divorce not go through? How long would he be continued to prolong the divorce? Can he contest the judge's ruling at the trial?

Attorney Answers 2


If the case doesn't settle then until the trial is held and a judgment entered will there status since bifurcation was denied.

This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.

Mark as helpful


Normally, if he does not show up at trial, the court will proceed and enter the Judgment and your status will be terminated at that time.

Michael is in San Jose, California and can be reached at 408-295-4232 or at Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics