How long can an inmate be kept in solitary confinement when they have medical conditions that need to be treated?

Asked about 1 year ago - Mc Rae, GA

My father, a 54 year old man, is in a federal correctional facility. He has informed me that he has been in solitary confinement for approximately five months. He cannot see the light of day and he states that where they have placed him is very humid and in deplorable conditions. He has a severe allergic reaction all over his body for which he is not being treated. I tried to call to get information but, based on HIPAA, they are refusing to give me any information regarding his whereabouts or well-being. I need to know what can be done and whether there are any places in Georgia that provide legal services to prisoners.

1. David Edward Boyle

Answered . I don't believe there is any set time period, however if he is suffering health problems you need to put the facility on notice and you might want to consult with an attorney about filing a habeas motion regarding his "cruel and unusual punishment"

2. Charles E.W. Barrow

Pro

Answered . You may want to check with the prison and find out if it has its own internal policies about solitary confinement. Regardless of what that policy is, the prison could still be violating your father's rights if his treatment is amounting to cruel and unusual punishment. You should consult with an attorney to get further advice on this matter.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Why is he in solitary confinrement?