How long can an in inmate do for two felonies

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

my boyfriend has a felony for assault to a family member and he did four days in Harris county jail i bailed him out and a week later he caught another felony case for burglary of habitation but i bought the stolen tv,my boyfriend friend was stealing everything we had no idea he was stealing till he got caught outside out apartment by the apartment security. The only reason they took my boyfriend is because the tv was in my apartment and because he was not suppose to be around me,he had an protective order from the courts that he couldnt be around me how long can he do?

1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

6

Answered . CAN do a lot. Instead of speculating on how many years he might get if convicted... he needs a local criminal defense attorney to hopefully get charges dismissed, or help make deal with prosecutor. Speak with a local criminal defense attorney about your specific facts and case. Try the FIND A LAWYER tab above. Many will speak with you for free. Good Luck.

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

4

Answered . In theory, a defendant with two Texas felonies could end up doing the maximum time for one charge plus the maximum time for the second charge.

However, that very, very rarely happens. Almost all felony sentences where there's more than one conviction end up with the sentences running "concurrent", meaning generally speaking that a day served on one also counts on the other. [I say generally speaking because of twists in the law about when a person was "in custody" on each case]

3. James Donald Garrett

3

Answered . I am licensed to practice criminal law in VA, not TX. However, he needs a good criminal defense attorney to help him with the charges. Only after a careful review of the facts and circumstances would any advice be relevant and helpful. Any sentence he may get, if he is convicted, will depend on the charges, any aggravating factors, prior record, etc.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and the feedback is appreciated.