How long can an in inmate do for two felonies

Houston, TX |

my boyfriend has a felony for assault to a family member and he did four days in Harris county jail i bailed him out and a week later he caught another felony case for burglary of habitation but i bought the stolen tv,my boyfriend friend was stealing everything we had no idea he was stealing till he got caught outside out apartment by the apartment security. The only reason they took my boyfriend is because the tv was in my apartment and because he was not suppose to be around me,he had an protective order from the courts that he couldnt be around me how long can he do?

1. I am licensed to practice criminal law in VA, not TX. However, he needs a good criminal defense attorney to help him with the charges. Only after a careful review of the facts and circumstances would any advice be relevant and helpful. Any sentence he may get, if he is convicted, will depend on the charges, any aggravating factors, prior record, etc.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and the feedback is appreciated.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. CAN do a lot. Instead of speculating on how many years he might get if convicted... he needs a local criminal defense attorney to hopefully get charges dismissed, or help make deal with prosecutor. Speak with a local criminal defense attorney about your specific facts and case. Try the FIND A LAWYER tab above. Many will speak with you for free. Good Luck.

BEST ANSWER I got.... and I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL!! Steve Hamer answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help, contact Mr. Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

3. In theory, a defendant with two Texas felonies could end up doing the maximum time for one charge plus the maximum time for the second charge.

However, that very, very rarely happens. Almost all felony sentences where there's more than one conviction end up with the sentences running "concurrent", meaning generally speaking that a day served on one also counts on the other. [I say generally speaking because of twists in the law about when a person was "in custody" on each case]

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.