How long can an estate remain open in North Carolina?

Asked about 3 years ago - Charlotte, NC

My mother passed away a little over 2 years ago. The only property she had was a house which went to me and two other siblings. Those two siblings now occupy the house. I it necessary to transfer the property into their name by a certain time? If it does need to be transferred, what is the procedure? Thanks

1. Cheryl K. David

Pro

Answered . Real Estate in NC passes outside the will to the family, unless there are specific directions in the will addressing such property. Therefore, it is highly likely that the property already belongs to you and your siblings, even though the deed wasn't transferred into your names. Many times our firm takes the property through the probate process anyway, to clear title. We then retitle the property to the heirs which makes the property easier to sell.

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I am not a NC attorney, but for one property this seems like a long time. Get a qualified estates attorney like the attorney above who offers sound advice to assist you in expediting and completing this process. Stop messing around and get this done by retaining competent estate counsel.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is