How long can a wrongful death case take to settle?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

My case has taking many years to settle. I still have not received a settlement yet from the case. Now, I am waiting for my lawyer to investigate by finding a person, so the settlement can be disbursed. It has taking so long to receive the settlement from the case, that I have to go through a third party to get part of the settlement. Do you think my lawyer is taking matters into their own hands? Do you think that my lawyer is becoming to personal in the matter? What should I do?

1. 4

Answered . Call your lawyer and schedule a meeting. My guess its a simple miscommunication. Good chance I know you're attorney and I'd wager he (not to be sexist) did a fine job.

2. 5

Answered . There's no way that can be answered in this forum with so little information, not the least of which is the complexity of case. But generally speaking, because wrongful death cases have such high damage potential, it is not uncommon to take 2-4 years or even longer.

3. 3

Answered . Settlements can take a long time, but I don't know what you mean by "having to go through a third party"
    What this may mean is your attorney was getting constant phone calls
    but perhaps you need to retain an attorney for an appointment for a second opinion.

Bob Brenna Jr
    Brenna Brenna And Boyce PLLC

4. 2

Answered . It sounds like the case is settled but there are Surrogate's Court issues regarding distributees.