How long can a wrongful death case take to settle?

Bronx, NY |

My case has taking many years to settle. I still have not received a settlement yet from the case. Now, I am waiting for my lawyer to investigate by finding a person, so the settlement can be disbursed. It has taking so long to receive the settlement from the case, that I have to go through a third party to get part of the settlement. Do you think my lawyer is taking matters into their own hands? Do you think that my lawyer is becoming to personal in the matter? What should I do?

It sounds like the case is settled but there are Surrogate's Court issues regarding distributees.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Call your lawyer and schedule a meeting. My guess its a simple miscommunication. Good chance I know you're attorney and I'd wager he (not to be sexist) did a fine job.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

There's no way that can be answered in this forum with so little information, not the least of which is the complexity of case. But generally speaking, because wrongful death cases have such high damage potential, it is not uncommon to take 2-4 years or even longer.

Settlements can take a long time, but I don't know what you mean by "having to go through a third party"
What this may mean is your attorney was getting constant phone calls
but perhaps you need to retain an attorney for an appointment for a second opinion.

Bob Brenna Jr
Brenna Brenna And Boyce PLLC

Bob, Robert L. Brenna, Jr. No relationship is intended, agreed upon or accepted by answering this general question Brenna Brenna and Boyce PLLC Rochester, New York

Recommended articles about Personal injury