How long can a spouse delay filing divorce paperwork after a default was cleared.

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

I filed initial paperwork for a divorce, my spouse delayed past the 30 day period but finally got an lawyer and they cleared the default, now how long do I wait until they file their paperwork or can my spouse continue to say that the marriage can be saved and play with delay tactics?

The court will usually give someone a second chance to vacate the default of not responding within the 30 days. You will eventually get divorced. Cases move slow especially if you have children. Your spouse can delay the case easily if he does not want to get divorced. Actually, there are cases where both spouses want t the divorce, but can't get it done because they can't agree on the terms. Just keep pushing forward, but be prepared to wait a long time. Call me if you would like to discuss your case.

Recommended articles about Divorce