How long can a manager hold onto an employee's tips without returning them to the employee?

Asked over 4 years ago - Sacramento, CA

Myself and several other employees worked an event on March 31st and as of April 8th, none of us have received our tips. We typically receive our tips the very next day that we work, and many receive them the same night. I'm just curious what the limitations are and if they are able to just hold me in limbo indefinitely.

1. Nicholas Donovan Heimlich

1

1

Answered . In general, it must be paid at your regular payday. (usually every two weeks). There are some exceptions that could apply, but in general this is true. Hopefully, you've been paid by now.
    I do help workers collect wages owed. If you don't get paid you also have the right to go to court or file a complaint with the labor commissioner. Check out the website below (cut and paste it into the browser).
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DLSE-FAQs.htm

This answer does not form an attorney client relationship. A full review of the legal situation is needed to advise on the proper course of action.