How long can a law firm hold on to settlement money before sending out checks

Asked about 5 years ago - Watsonville, CA

I have 30+lawsuits and feel like Im getting the run-around every time a settlement comes in.

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Um. . .you have 30+ lawsuits? There's something very wrong with that statement. That said, a lawyer shouldn't hold on to a client's settlement checks any longer than is necessary to have them clear and process disbursements.

Diisclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Matthew Edward Williamson

Answered . I agree with Attorney Koslyn's answer and would add one thing: sometimes, if there are liens, it takes a little time to get the final numbers. I'd write you attorney a letter, rather than calling, asking for an explanation.

Good luck with your situation.

Matthew Williamson

3. Brian Richard Dinday

Answered . Yours is a fascinating letter. Please write again and tell us how it is that you have over 30 lawsuits. It might help us answer.