Skip to main content

How long can a green card holder stay outside the USA.

Fredericksburg, VA |

I had my green card about 2 months ago but need to go to Africa for something important. How long can I stay there.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Less than six months should not be a problem, but be sure to keep evidence of intent to maintain residence in the U.s. before leaving. If going more than one year she shoudl fiel for a Reentry Permit while still on U.S. soil and wait to be fingerprinted.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Ideally you should not be outside hte US for more htan 179 days but definately not stay past 364 days.


An absence for up to 6 months will not be a problem. If you need to leave longer, you should consult with an immigration attorney before leaving.


You shouldn't leave for more than 179 days but you could be deemed to have abandoned your residence in less time.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.


Less than six months.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer