How long between dui does it not effect your new charges of dui

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chambersburg, PA

My last dui was 12 years ago

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jason S Dunkle

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A prior DUI conviction can always have an effect on your current DUI case. The "look back window" in Pennsylvania for prior offenses is 10 years, but this simply means that prior DUI convictions or ARD dispositions will count as a prior offense and thereby subject you to increased mandatory minimum penalties. While your current offense may be deemed a "first offense", the DUI from 12 years ago can still be considered by the DA in determining how to handle your current case. For example, some DAs may consider ARD for your current offense since your prior DUI is more than 10 years ago, but, in other counties, the DA would deny your admittance into ARD. Many DAs will also consider offenses outside the 10-year look back window in determining what sentence to recommend in the current case if you are convicted or plead guilty to the current charge. Many DUI attorneys offer a free consultation, and I recommend that you take advantage of that option and discuss your case with a DUI attorney in the Chambersburg area.

    Jason S. Dunkle, Esquire
    JD Law, P.C.
    State College, PA 16801
    (814) 954-7622

    The responses provided on this site are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as... more
  2. Michael Lawrence Doyle


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The look back period is ten years. As a result, it looks as if this will be treated as a first offense. Keep in mind that offenses from other states can also be counted.

  3. Robert C. Keller

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The law changed in 2004 moving the look back period to 10 years. It appears that your new DUI will be treated as a first offense. The amour of alcohol in your system will determine the penalty. You should hire an experienced criminal attorney to represent you.

  4. Jason Kutulakis

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The DUI laws recently changed and your sentence will be impacted by not only your prior DUI convictions, but also your entire prior criminal record and blood alcohol content will be factors. You should consult with and retain an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,353 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,353 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering