Skip to main content

How long before my tourist visa expires should I apply to extend it? And what documents are needed for the extension? Thank you!

Cape Girardeau, MO |

Is there anything I should pay a particular attention to while preparing the neccessary papers?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Applying for a tourist visa extension is more complex than just filling out a form. You have to be eligible for an extension and evidence. Consult an immigration attorney before you apply.

  2. Pay attention to details, I would file it no less than a week before, and send certified mail. Show proof you will not need top work in the US but can support yourself and most importantly, show proof you will leave the US and intend to return home. A lawyer can help you do this properly

    For more immigration information, please visit

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. Typically all extensions should be filed 90 days before the expiration of your current I-94. However the latest you can file an extension is either on or before the expiration of your current I-94.
    Caro Kinsella
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella P.A.
    10 Fairway Drive, Suite 134V
    Deerfield Beach, FL 33441
    Telephone: 954-304-2243
    Facsimile: 888-312-9674
    Skype: caro.kinsellalaw

  4. Your answer is unclear. If you are asking about the visa stamp, when to renew it is entirely up to you. If you are asking about the I-94, you must apply for the extension before the I-94 expires.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  5. How long is your authorized stay? Why do you want to extend it?
    Luis A. Guerra, Esq.
    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra, PA
    Atrium Centre
    4801 South University Dr., Suite 252
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328
    Telephone: (954)434-5800
    Facsimile: (954)518-4268

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics