How long before I would be eligible for court supervision on a traffic ticket again?

Asked over 4 years ago - Yorkville, IL

I live in kendall county, yorkville, illinois. and just received my first ever traffic ticket. I was told that if I went to court and asked for supervision, that it would not go on my record. After my 90 day supervision period is over, what happens if I get a ticket again is say 1 year? Would I be eligible for court supervision again? Also, is there I chance that when I go to court, they will not grant me court supervision?

1. Brian L. Polinske

Pro

Answered . Typically one year. An attorney may be able to "bend" the rule to your benefit. Each jurisdiction seems to have different enforcement of the one year rule. After your supervision period is over the case is technically dismissed. The court loses jurisdiction over the ticket when the supervision period has concluded.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Typically the wait for supervision a second time is one year. The Chicago Tribune has been reporting, however, on lenient traffic judges (last couple weeks and today front page May 20) so if you get a lenient judge, then who knows.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

4. Owen David Greenberg

Answered . After your supervision is over, ie 90 days as you indicated, there will not be any further jeopardy concerning that ticket, so long as you pay all the fines and court costs. Illinois law allows two supervisions in a one-year period, so long as the offense allows supervision as a possible penalty. You were misadvised if someone told you supervision would not go on your record. It goes on your record, it is just not viewable by the general public.