Skip to main content

How Long before can we apply for removing of conditions from conditional green card obtained thru marriage with us citizen?

Portland, ME |

I would like to know if you can apply for removal of conditions from conditional green card if its two years of marriage or does the person has to wait 90 days prior to expiration to apply for removal of conditions?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    When removing conditions from a resident card obtained thru marriage to a U.S. Citizen, the petition must be filed during that 90 day window prior to the expiration of the card. In other words, 90 days from the expiration of the card, not your wedding anniversary date. I hope the above information is helpful.

    Enrique Mesa
    15 Stark Street
    Manchester, NH 03101
    (T) 603-296-2222

    Phone: 603-296-2222; Email: LawServe - 15 Stark St., Manchester, NH. The information provided is for informational purposes only, and is not to be construed as legal advice or a creation of an attorney/client relationship.

  2. Generally you need to file your I-751 1 year and nine months after you were issued your conditional green card.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Joint petitions must be filed during the 90-day period immediately preceding the two-year anniversary of the CR green card.

  4. You are supposed to apply in the period of 90 days prior to the expiration of your conditional green card. Cannot apply before, UNLESS obtained a divorce and want to apply under the "good faith" and/or other exceptions to the joint filing requirement.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. You must apply within the 90 day period prior to the expiration of the card as explained to you on the paperwork you were given at the time of your interview.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  6. 90 days prior.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics