How long are employers allowed to hold your background against you??

Anderson, IN |
Filed under: Felony crime

I have a C felony in aid,ind, causing a crime, will i ever be able to get this sealed,remove,or block from employers?

1. It doesn't appear that C Felonies in Indiana can be sealed or expunged at this time.
    http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/71206.htm

Maybe an Indiana lawyer can offer more insight.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.

2. It is something you will have to deal with for at least ten years. I serve as a civil service commissioner in a different county and state. If a person with a felony conviction serves there time, lives an exemplary life, and improves themself, we will permit them to obtain certain types of public employment after a period of time. I understand our approach is common. You should note that you don't say what the class C felony was. There are types of convictions that we consider incompatible with public employment regardless of the passage of time.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

3. We do not have a statute to expunge or seal C felonies. Two years ago the legislature passed a statute allowing individuals to seal nonviolent D felonies and misdemeanors. Your only options at this time are to seek post conviction relief (PCR) or a pardon from the governor. Depending on who's court the conviction is out of, the type of conviction and how long it has been a lawyer may be able to convince the prosecutor and judge to agree to a PCR.

We are a fire and hire at will state so an employer can use any reason to discriminate against you so long as its not constitutionally or statutorily protected (race, religion, etc.)