How long after your case has been settle can a lawyer hold your money in an escrow account

Asked over 2 years ago - Tuscaloosa, AL

This case has been going on for 2 years and we settle it last year and they are telling me that they are holding the money in an escrow account in case I owe the insurance company any money after 2 years if I owe anybody surely they would have contacted me are my lawyers by now, and now they are saying that the money is not mine please help

1. Jon Ethan Lewis

1

Answered . Well, this might depend on who the insurance company is and how much the settlement was for and what type of case you had. For example, if Medicare paid some of your hospital bills, it can take a LONG time to get information from Medicare as to how much you owe. Also, if it was a workers compensation claim or if you are a minor, there could be other issues.

It sounds like y'all are having a communication issue. I would make an appointment with your attorney, and go sit down with him/her and discuss the issues. I'm sure your attorney can explain it, and it is much easier to do face-to-face.

If you cannot get a face-to-face meeting with your own attorney, I would send him/her a letter confirming how many times you have tried and failed to get such a meeting. At that point, if you don't get a meeting, I would go to the Bar Association with your letters and attempts. The Bar Association should be a last resort because most attorneys care about their clients and the case, and they do not want Bar complaints.

I hope this helps.

2. Boris Zinovjevic Gorbis

1

Answered . Immediately file a complaint with the State Bar if your attorneys are holding on to your money in the absence of a court order to do so.

3. John Warwick Caldwell

Answered . Mr Gorbis is entirely correct. Call them Monday ... early. Misuse of client funds is one thing that State Bar Organizations are effective at policing.