How long after signing settlement confidentiality agreement does it take to receive a check?

Asked over 2 years ago - Flint, MI

i settled with the defendants in february 2012 i signed confidentiality papers may 17 2012 civil right violation in mi

these were officers & the payment comes from city insurance,i do have a lawyer handling the case but,he never has time to answer questions..please help & thanks in advance

1. Peter L. Conway

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your use of the word "defendants" suggests this is not a divorce action. In almost any other case, you will have a lawyer. This is a question best put to the lawyer. Frequently, the date of payment is worked out between the lawyers as part of the settlement agreement. In any event, I would expect the defendants' draft within 30 days. Generally, the draft is sent to your lawyer. Your lawyer will provide you with a settlement statement between you and the lawyer, dividing up the settlement and you will be asked to endorse the draft from the defendants. Your lawyer will deposit the defendants' settlement draft in the lawyer's client trust account. It can take up to a week for the draft to clear and the funds become available in your lawyer's trust account.

2. Henry S. Gornbein

Pro

3

1

Answered . Hi, It depends on whether this is an insurance check, or a settlement from actual individuals. Talk to your attorney for the answer to this question. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

3. Pamela Koslyn

1

1

Answered . Often a settlement agreement provides for when the settlement payment gets provided, so review what you signed. If you had a lawyer representing you, ask the lawyer.

If you didn't have a lawyer, maybe you didn't provide for this and neither did the paying defendants, in which case a judge if asked woudl presumably imply a "reasonable" time. See what your agreement provides regarding how you'd enforce the agreement, and whether the prevailing party gets their attorney's fees, which means you've got to hire a lawyer to get an fees.