How long after my husband abandons me can I sell the items he left behind?

Newport, KY |

The man I was married to for four years out of the blue decides he wants a divorce and drives off into the sunset to another state and left all of his things (including clothes and personal affects) and told me he doesn't want any of them. He left me without a penny to my names and cleaned out our bank account. I'm 22 years old and am left holding the bag. I still have all of this things that he doesn't want and I need money to pay my bills. How long after he had left me can I pawn those things? He left oct. 3, we share a home with my parents and it is in their name, not ours.

1. You need to get him to put in writing that he is authorizing you to sell his stuff. However, you should first file for divorce, get him served, and have the writing drawn up as a stipulation and order of the Court. This will take some time and a little expense, but in the end it will best protect you and give you the thing you are requesting how to do. Good Luck to you.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

2. I would agree to getting the divorce filed ASAP so you deal with these items. Additionally you could be entitled to have him give you a portion of what he took. Any property/debt incurred during the marriage is subject to division by the court. You should talk to an attorney quickly to get the process started.

Marriage and prenups topics