How long after meeting of creditors will I receive discharge papers?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I had my meeting of creditors on 08/17/2010, it is now 10/24/2010, when should I get my discharge papers.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert W. Stack

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Creditors have 60 days from the date of the Meeting of Creditors to object to Discharge. Assuming that does not happen, and assuming you filed your Debtor Education certificate, the Court should automatically issue your discharge within about 70-80 days after the Meeting of Creditors. If you have concerns call the Clerks office or your attorney's office if you have one.

  2. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It usually takes at least 2 months which will let the deadline for the right of creditors to object to elapse. (The deadline is stated on your B9 form scheduling your meeting of creditors.)

    If you didn't file the paperwork to complete your FMC (financial management class), that will hold up your discharge.

    Also, the Clerk's office often gets behind on their paperwork, so your dischage can be delayed. If you need the discharge right away, you can call the Clerk up and ask them to expedite your dischage. I find I receive my discharges within 48 hours of making a phone call, as long as everything else is on track.

    Good luck!

  3. Andrew Daniel Myers

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Actually, these things happen relatively automatically. Look at the notice that you received at the commencement of the case giving the date and time for your creditor's meeting. Toward the bottom you will see a deadline for objecting to the discharge. Under Rule 4004 of the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, unless there is an objection or other problem set out under that rule, then the discharge is to be ordered "forthwith" after that date. It nearly always happens within a few weeks.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,236 answers this week

3,204 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,236 answers this week

3,204 attorneys answering