How long after indictment?

Utica, NY |

After the indictment how long does it take for the arraignment. Can the prosecutor claim rediness for trial between that period or must he wait for the arraignment.

1. The prosecutor usually files a statement of readiness when the file the indictment with the court. It can take several weeks from when the indictment is filed until a superior court arraignment is calendared.
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=55f1ae398dabdcd57640b749bca8dd562c913bbee4e87a76321b867962e21ebf096ea36094cfd6fb ) ----------------------------------------

2. It usually takes about 2-4 weeks. Yes the prosecutor can claim readiness during this period by properly serving and filing a statement of readiness.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com

3. Usually a few weeks. The DA can serve and file a statement of readiness when the indictment is filed with the Court.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. It can take 2-3 weeks in most places.
    They can claim readiness upon the filing of the indictment as they are not responsible for when the arraignment occurs.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.