How long after I-130 is approved for visa?

Jamaica, NY |

Hi, I would like to know the average time after I-130 is approved for a visa to be granted.

Depending on the case particulars. Some considerations like delays, case transfers, processing considerations, flaws, RFEs or Requests for Additional Evidence may extend the case's decision.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

It depends on the preference category. It can range from a few months for "immediate relatives" to over 23 years for some siblings. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

It depends on the type of petition, the type of visa application (adjustment of status or immigrant visa) and the immigrant's admissibility. Some times it can be the same day as the I-130 approval. Other times it can be decades. Check www.uscis.gov and the Department of State's Visa Bulletin to get an estimate for the particular case.

Please note that this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics