Skip to main content

How long after greencard application will it take to get my EAD CARD?

Houston, TX |

I have been married for five years and just applied for a greencard. I was working as a nurse previous to this. My work permit expired in February so I exited and reentered the country as a visitor and applied. I want to start working again, I wonder how Long the EAD card will take

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Hopefully you applied for the marriage based green card at least 60 days after your last entry to the US..

    If everything has been correctly filed, it takes USCIS 2-3 months from date of receipt of Form I-765 to issue you your EAD, and 1-2 months later to conduct your AOS interview.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. If you entered on a visa that requires non-immigrant intent (as opposed to an H-1B or L-1 which allows dual intent) AND if you applied for green card (I-485) within 60 days of entry, then USCIS will think you committed fraud. Hire a lawyer. USCIS may confront you at your interview and put you into removal proceedings. Hire a lawyer. You can fight it, but you will need help.
    You should get the EAD within 2-3 months regardless of whether USCIS catches the fraud at your interview.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

  3. If you applied as a visitor, but really had the intention to apply for permanent residency, that could be fraud.

    We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at

  4. Usually, it takes 3 months.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics