Skip to main content

How long after filing bankcrupsty Chapter 13 ....

Vernon Hills, IL |

How long after filing bankcrupsty Chapter 13 can I start to get credit cards (to fix and grow my credit) and apply for a mortgage with my Husband. We would love to get a nice home together soon. And my husband has great credit now.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You can apply at any time. It will be up to the credit card and mortgage companies whether they will approve you for credit; every company has different standards. If you recently filed your bankruptcy the credit companies will view you as a higher risk; the more time that passes, the less of a risk you are. You might need to start with a secured or prepaid card. Keep in mind that you might get a higher interest rate if you recently filed for bankruptcy, so you might want to consider having the mortgage be in your husband's name only (but still have the house titled in both names).

    This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Often, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable.

  2. In addition to the good advise my colleague gave already gave you. We tell our clients to open an account with Credit Karma. It informative, free and they do not send you junk. I have an account myself

  3. You cannot incur any additional debt while you are in your Ch.13 Plan. After the Plan is complete, you can apply for credit. It will be up to the creditor's rules whether it is granted, and the interest rate and terms. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

  4. It needs to be clear what you mean. You inquire about "after filing." If you are in your Chapter 13 case, you should not be incurring any credit without court approval and a credit card is not likely. If you are done with the Chapter 13 case, then you may apply and you have received some good suggestions for consideration in the earlier answers.

    The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended to be informative, but not final. You are advised to arrange a consultation at which all facts and documents can be explored and terms for representation agreed. An attorney-client relationship must be formally established.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics