How Long after Divorce can you get married again

Asked over 2 years ago - Victorville, CA

is their period of time you have to wait before you can get married again. People say i have to wait 6 months after the date my divorce was finalized. other say 18 months

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Charles Schwerin

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can get married the day after your divorce judgment is final. There is a form you should receive called a Notice of Entry of Judgment. That form will state the date on which your status is terminated You may get married the next day.

    Michael is in San Jose, California and can be reached at 408-295-4232 or at Consultation... more
  2. Jami K Fosgate

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is a mandatory six month waiting period in California before a divorce can be "final" after the Petition for Dissolution has been served on the Respondent. Due to budget problems and cutbacks in court staff, many divorces take longer than six months to become "final." You will know that your divorce is "final" when the court clerk mails to you a copy of the "Notice of Entry of Judgment." That form will list the date that Judgment was entered. That is the date your divorce was "final" and you may get remarried after that date. If you are not sure whether the "Notice of Entry of Judgment" was mailed to you, look up your Case Number on the Los Angeles Superior Court website under "Family" under "Online Services" under "Case Summary" and see if the Notice of Entry of Judgment was filed. You may also go to the courthouse and ask see to your case file.

    Disclaimer: This response is intended to be a general statement of law and should not be relied upon as legal... more
  3. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Most states have time periods within which you cannot get remarried after the court declares that your current marriage is legally over and the court orders you divorced. It is a cooling off period in case people change there minds or newly uncovered evidence is formed, the time period varies and the cour clerk will tell you exactly. Take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,230 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,230 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering