How long after bankruptcy will I be able to buy a house?

Tucson, AZ |

We lost our house in bankruptcy, and I would really like to be able to buy again. Will it be at all possible to buy one before the 10 years are up? Are there any groups or companies who will work with people after bankruptcy to buy a house?

1. You can buy a house immediately. If you do not have cash, then you will have to wait two to three years for conventional financing (this time frame is established by the lenders and changes on occasion). Or, if you can find a seller willing to do "owner financing" then it is up to the seller how it will treat your bankruptcy/foreclosure. You are a fairly good credit risk, since you have no debt and cannot file another bankruptcy for years.

2. The only reason you are not able to buy a house is due to not finding the right situation.

The only reason bankruptcy comes up is that lenders ask and discriminate against for filing.

If you can find a person who will do a carry back, you could buy today.

Jim Webster
    www.jpwlegal.com

1845 S. Dobson Rd. Ste 201
    Mesa, AZ 85202

(480) 464-4667
    Jim@jpwlegal.com

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Please contact me directly with document for a free 30 minute consultation to get more concrete advice. This is not legal advice. I don't have enough information to give actual legal advice. I can only take the limited information presented and provide a framework to know how your situation may turn out. I may have questions that bring up issues you did not think were important but make a big difference.

3. Before the credit crisis after doing a Chapter 7 most people could purchase a home after about 2 years after the bankruptcy discharge. Due to the credit crisis it is much harder to get a loan even if you have money to put down. If the credit markets open up and you have money to put down on a home then you should be fine in a few years.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.