Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

How long after an event can you sue for wrongful termination?

I was terminated in April from my previous employer for "not contacting them, or providing them with doctor's notes." I did provide them and contacted them via e-mail and phone on numerous occasions. The last time I provided them with a doctor's note, they claimed it "wasn't good enough" and proceeded to terminate my employment. I was under a labor union and they claimed they would contact me when they had a hearing on the grievance they filed for my reinstatement, but they never contacted me again.

Covington, GA -

Steven Parnell Weaver

Steven Parnell Weaver

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

You need to talk to an attorney ASAP. In some states you can go after the union for not representing you in good faith. Good luck.

Sponsored Listing
David Edward Oles

David Edward Oles

Employment / Labor Attorney - Alpharetta, GA

The answer is going to depend on many specifics you did not provide. Georgia law provides for a 6 year statute of limitation on most contract claims. Personal claims can be much shorter, sometimes one or two years. Claims based on discrimination have a 180 day window in which you must satisfy the administrative requirements (such as filing with the EEOC). In your case, there is the additional issue of your union contract, and whether the union represented your properly and in good faith. What your remedy may be is not clear from your description. You are going to need to talk to a good attorney who can listen to all your facts, look at your documentation, and offer you some specific advice that will fit your particular situation.

Karen Elizabeth Eichman

Karen Elizabeth Eichman

Employment / Labor Attorney - Kennett Square, PA

Contact an employment attorney ASAP. There are many facts that need to be explored, including the wording of your union contract, your length of employment, and the number of employees working for your employer. Depending on all the facts, there is the possibility of FMLA or disability claims, as well as the possibility that your union may have failed to represent you.

Answers to questions on this forum do not create an attorney-client relationship.
Sponsored Listing