How long after an accident can a sheriff issue a ticket?

Troy, NY |

a friend of mine got into an accident a month ago, and no ticket was received. Late this afternoon while i was out a sheriff came to my recidence and handed my roommate a ticket for the accident. It says it was issued the date of the accident and hand delivered today and i have 1 day to go to court..IS THAT LEAGAL?

I'm sorry to say that it is legal. The police can issue a ticket months after an accident, as it is within their discretion.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

In many instances, it takes some amount of time to determine which party was at fault in an accident. Witness statements, blood/drug tests, etc. take time to compile and report.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.